Home . . Events and Classes . . Pregnancy to Parenting
Pregnancy to Parenting
Rice Memorial Hospital and Kandiyohi County Public Health have put together a three-class series that provides you with important information about pregnancy, delivery, newborns, breastfeeding, and more.
These small group classes will give you the opportunity to ask questions and tour the Women and Children's Unit at Rice Memorial Hospital. All classes will be held at Rice.
- March 15, 22, 29 - 2016
- May 17, 24, 31 - 2016
- July 12, 19, 26 - 2016
- September 13, 20, 27 - 2016
- November 1, 15, 22 - 2016
- Cost and Registration
- Class Overview
- Other Resources
Cost for Pregnancy to Parenting Series
- $50 for the complete Pregnancy to Parenting Series, which includes three classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and Breastfeeding booklet.
- $25 for the Express Series, which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one class.
How to Register
- Register online using a major credit or debit card. (Note, online registration is NOT available for insurance billing.)
- Register by mail using a check or money order.
Mail registration form and payment to:
Rice Education - Pregnancy to Parenting
Rice Memorial Hospital
301 Becker Avenue SW
Willmar, MN 56201
Call Rice Education at 320.231.8920, or call Public Health at 320.231.7860.
Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6:00pm - 8:00pm in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. To view a current class schedule, please download the brochure.
Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center. You can park at the hospital, or in the parking lot at Lakeland Health Center / Family Practice Medical Center.
Class #1 - All About Newborns
- Newborn appearance and health concerns from a local physician
- Car seat safety
- Educational opportunities for you and your newborn
- Relaxation breathing.
Class #2 - Breastfeeding
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- How to breastfeed
- Breastfeeding after you return to work
- Common concerns
Class #3 - Preparing for Delivery
- When to go to the hospital
- Medication used during labor
- Relation and breathing
- Tour the Suite Beginnings birthing suites at Rice Memorial Hospital
- A good time to register is after the fifth month, but before the ninth month of your pregnancy.
Is the Childbirth Education Series only for moms-to-be who are enrolled in a public health program?
- No, you do not have to be participating in a current public health program. Kandiyohi County Public Health encourages all moms-to-be and their partners / labor support to learn about having a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and baby.
If one of the dates in my series doesn't work for me, can I take that class during the next series?
- Yes, Please let Rice Education know your plans, by calling 320.231.8920.
- See next question
- There is an Express Series option for $25 which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one face-to-face class. This option does NOT include the online eLearning program.
- The complete "Pregnancy to Parenting" series, which includes an online eLearning program, three face-to-face classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and Breastfeeding booklet, is $50.
Where do the face-to-face classes take place?
- Classes are held on Tuesdays during the series month, in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center.
- We are proud of the beautiful environment and great care provide at Rice and hope you consider having your baby here, however, all moms-to-be in our region are welcome to register for this series.
Other great on-line resources to prepare for parenting
www.acog.org --Search for patient information
www.aap.org --American Academy of Pediatrics
www.nhtsa.gov --Car Seat Safety
www.llli.org --La Leche League International
www.familybreastfeeding.org --Family Breastfeeding Assocation
www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding --Centers for Disease Control