Home . . Events and Classes . . Pregnancy to Parenting
Pregnancy to Parenting
Rice Memorial Hospital and Kandiyohi County Public Health have put together a learning program that combines an online class with three face-to-face classes to bring you important information about pregnancy, delivery, newborns, breastfeeding, and more.
The web-based online class lets you learn in the comfort of your own home. It is interactive with animated illustrations, videos, voice-overs, and games.
Three face-to-face classes give you the opportunity to ask questions and tour the Women and Children's Unit at Rice Memorial Hospital. These classes will be held at Rice.
If you don't have access to a computer, check your local library or visit the Community Health LIbrary at Rice Hospital.
- Cost and Registration
- Class Overview
- Tech Support
- $50 for the complete Pregnancy to Parenting Series, which includes online eLearning program, three face-to-face classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and, Breastfeeding booklet.
- $25 for the Express Series, which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one face-to-face class. This option does NOT include the online eLearning program.
How to Register
- You can register online using a major credit or debit card. (Note, online registration is NOT available for insurance billing.)
Or, you can register by mail using a check or money order for payment. Download and complete the registration form and mail along with your payment to:
Rice Education - Childbirth Series
Rice Memorial Hospital
301 Becker Avenue SW
Willmar, MN 56201
Call Public Health at 320.231.7860 and ask for help with the Childbirth Education Classes.
Need help with registration?
Call Rice Education at 320.231.8920
Is tuition help available?
- Grants and other funding make it possible to offer these classes to the community at the already reduced rates of only $50 (full class) and $25 (express series). If you participate in a Minnesota Health Care Program, all costs for classes may be covered by your health plan.
- Insurance billing will be though Kandiyohi County Public Health. Assistance may be available to help with the cost of the classes for those who do not have insurance and are unable to pay.
Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6:00pm - 8:00pm in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. For a current schedule, please visit the Events & Classes area of Family Health Manager.
Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center. You can park at the hospital, or in the parking lot at Lakeland Health Center / Family Practice Medical Center.
Online Class - The Gift of Motherhood
The Gift of Motherhood eLearning program is a flash-based online book that will allow you to understand all aspects of pregnancy and childbirth. In this first class, you'll learn about:
- The role of the support person
- Methods to help you through labor
- Discomforts of pregnancy
- Understanding labor and delivery
- Caring for yourself postpartum
- Feeding your newborn
Face-to-Face Class #1 - All About Newborns
- Newborn appearance and health concerns from a local physician
- Car seat safety
- Educational opportunities for you ad your newborn
- Relaxation breathing.
Face-to-Face Class #2 - Breastfeeding
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- How to breastfeed
- Breastfeeding after you return to work
- Common concerns
Face-to-Face Class #3 - Preparing for Delivery
- When to go to the hospital
- Medication used during labor
- Relation and breathing
- Tour the Suite Beginnings birthing suites at Rice Memorial Hospital
- The Gift of Motherhood eLearning program is a flash-based online book that will allow you to understand all aspects of pregnancy and childbirth.
- The most recent version of Adobe Flash
- A fast internet connection (DSL, Cable or other broadband)
- Adobe Reader
- A computer with sound and speakers or headphones
- Read the eBook just like you would a traditional book - click on the edge of the book to turn the page.
- Be sure to click on all of the icons to learn more. Some icons open a movie or animation, others give you added information.
- If you see a word in green, you can move your mouse over it to learn the definition.
- Visit the eLearning Tips & System Requirements section of this website.
- A good time to register is after the fifth month, but before the ninth month of your pregnancy.
Is the Childbirth Education Series only for moms-to-be who are enrolled in a public health program?
- No, you do not have to be participating in a current public health program. Kandiyohi County Public Health encourages all moms-to-be and their partners / labor support to learn about having a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and baby.
If one of the dates in my series doesn't work for me, can I take that class during the next series?
- Yes, Please let Rice Education know your plans, by calling 320.231.8920.
- See next question
- The complete Pregnancy to Parenting Series, which includes online eLearning program, three face-to-face classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and, Breastfeeding booklet, is $50.
- There is an Express Series option for $25 which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one face-to-face class. This option does NOT include the online eLearning program.
- Full cost of the class is $127. However, grants and other funding make it possible to offer the classes at a reduced rate. If you participate in a Minnesota Health Care Program, all costs for classes may be covered by your health plan.
- Insurance billing will be through Kandiyohi County Public Health. Assistance may be available to help with the cost of the classes for those who do not have insurance and are unable to pay.
- Your password code is good from Class #1 through the birth of your baby.
- Classes are held on Tuesdays during the series month, in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center.
- We are proud of the beautiful environment and great care provide at Rice and hope you consider having your baby here, however, all moms-to-be in our region are welcome to register for this series.
To get the most from your eLearning experience:
- Read the eBook just like you would a traditional book
- Click the edge of the book to turn the page
- Be sure to click on all of the icons to learn more. Some icons open a movie or animation, others give you added information
- If you see a word in green, you can move your mouse over it to learn the definition
If you experience difficulty with the eBook:
- First, make sure your internet connection is working by visiting some other websites.
- Next, make sure you have the newest version of Adobe Flash
- You may need to uninstall the previous version of Flash before you install the new version. For instructions on how to uninstall Flash, visit their support site here.
If you can't see anything display on the page:
- It make take a few minutes for the program to load. When internet access is slow, the eBook may load more slowly than normal. If, after several minutes nothing appears, try restarting your computer.
If the videos don't work:
- Give the videos a moment to load and make sure you have the latest version of Flash. If it still doesn't work, try restarting your computer.
If your password code doesn't work:
- Try re-entering the code, make sure there are no spaces before or after the code.
- Note: the character "0" in a code is always a number, not a letter.
- If that does not work, contact the Rice Education Helpline to make sure the code is still active.
- Rice Education Helpline: 320.231.8920
Computer system requirements:
- Sound Card
- Speakers or Headphones
- Updated Video Card
- About 512MB RAM
- 1 Ghz processor (recommended)
- Access to a nearby printer (optional)
- Active X controls enabled
- Pop-ups turned On
- Java enabled
- Latest version of Adobe Macromedia Flash Player installed
- Latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Firefox or Safari
- Full Accessories installed with Windows operating system
- High Speed internet access