Home . . Care and Services . .Rice Rehabilitation Center . . Hand Therapy
Certified Hand Therapy
Sarah Tanner is an occupational therapist at Rice Rehab Center. She is the only Certified Hand Therapist in the area.
A Certified Hand Therapist is an occupational or physical therapist who has received nationally recognized certification in the treatment of various diagnoses and conditions affecting the hand and upper extremity.
To become certified, the therapist is required to qualify for and pass an exam. The therapist must have a minimum of five years of clinical experience, including 4000+ hours of direct practice in hand therapy. The therapist is also required to recertify every five years, which demonstrates continued professional development and competency.
Evaluation and Treatment of conditions including:
- Traumatic injuries
- Post-surgical cases
- Fractures and dislocations
- Cumulative trauma disorders
- Burns and wounds
- Tendon and nerve lacerations
- Sports injuries
- Carpal Tunnel
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Elbow and Shoulder injuries
Did you know…
- It is very important to have an evaluation performed by an occupational therapist for any pain, numbness, tingling or other symptoms that occur anywhere from the shoulder to the finger tips.
- Pain located at the hand/fingers can stem from an injury or dysfunction at another body part including the elbow, shoulder or even neck.
- A certified hand therapist, following a thorough evaluation, is able to determine the origin of the symptoms your are having to treat you more effectively.