Warm-water pool therapy programs can help people of all ages, whether you want to relax and relieve joint pain or increase your muscle strength. You do not have to know how to swim to benefit from pool therapy.
How does pool therapy help?
When your whole body is immersed in water, you experience a 90% weight loss, which makes movement and exercise much more comfortable. You feel lighter, move more easily, and experience greater mobility in the water.
Rice Rehab Center offers three separate pool therapy programs.
- Water Therapy Program
- Water Fitness Sessions
- Water Conditioning Classes
Where do pool therapy programs take place?
All sessions are held in the therapeutic, deep water pool on the MinnWest Technology Campus. The 22x36 foot therapeutic pool is kept at 91 to 94 degrees Fahrenheit. The Jacuzzi whirlpool is a soothing 100-102 degrees Fahrenheit. Your instructor is lifeguard-certified, with added training in water safety and specialized water exercise.
Water Therapy Program
The Water Therapy program helps you strengthen your muscles, increase your mobility, and relieve your pain through pool exercises in a one-on-one setting with a physical therapist.
If you have had any of the following challenges, you can benefit from this program:
- arthritis or other chronic pain
- weakness after surgery
- joint replacement
- developmental disability
- head trauma
- back or other serious body injury
These exercises are designed and monitored by a registered physical therapist. Physician referral and a physical therapy evaluation are required prior to starting the Water Therapy Program
Water Therapy appointments are offered 7:45am to 11:00am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Water Fitness Sessions
Water Fitness Sessions are right for you if you no longer require one-on-one pool therapy and are ready to advance your level of fitness in a monitored setting.
This program can help you:
- relieve your pain
- increase your muscle strength
- improve your range of motion
- exercise in a safe and effective manner
- improve your heart and lung fitness, flexibility and strength
- improve your balance, posture, and tolerance for exercise
- improve your level of fitness
The Water Fitness Program is supervised by a registered physical therapist and/or a licensed physical therapist assistant. The staff are available at each session to answer questions, help you advance your fitness program, and meet other rehabilitation needs within the scope of this program.
Physician referral and a physical therapy evaluation are required prior to starting the Water Fitness Program.
Water Fitness Sessions are offered 7:45am to 10:45am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. There is a daily session fee.
Water Conditioning Classes
Water Condition Classes are right for you if you like social interaction and fun! Sometimes called the "Arthritis Class," they offer you:
- muscle strengthening
- greater mobility
- overall conditioning
- decreased pain
- a feeling of well-being
These group classes are conducted by a registered therapist and/or a licensed therapist assistant. The staff are available at each session to answer questions, help you advance your fitness program, and meet other rehabilitation needs within the scope of this program.
Physician referral and registration are not required.
Water Conditioning Classes are offered 11:00am to 12:00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. There is a daily session fee.
Directions to the Pool
The pool is located at 1800 18th St. NE, on the MinnWest Technology Campus.
- Enter the Minnwest Technology Campus from Civic Center Drive
- Turn right on Bio Tech Ave. Ne.
- Turn left onto 18th St NE
- Go to the end of the road - the rehabilitation building is on the right hand side and has solar panels on the roof.
- Once you are inside the building, walk past the staircase and enter the pool area through the locker room doors.
- Locker rooms are available
- Do not leave valuables in the locker room.
- Bring a swimming suit and towel.