Would you like to visit a patient in the hospital?
- Please help protect patients from seasonal viruses. If you have the signs and symptoms of a cold or the flu, please refrain from visiting the hospital until you are symptom-free.
- If you are well enough to visit, please wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before entering the patient's room to help stop the spread of germs and infection.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: The staff and patients appreciate your understanding and cooperation with these requests.
Visitor Information and Services
Rice does not have posted visiting hours.
We ask that visitors respect the wishes of the patient and the unit where the person is staying. If you arrive after 8:00 pm, you must enter through the Emergency Services Department entrance on Becker Ave., where you will be given a visitor's pass to visit.
In general, please note:
- Children may visit if they are accompanied by an adult who is responsible for their supervision.
- No one with an active infection may visit patients.
- Staff has the right to restrict visitors or request they leave.
- Specialty areas have their own visiting policies.
- Nursing staff will advise visitors regarding any limitations.
For your convenience, an ATM is located on the first level, main lobby, next to the Gift Shop. Most major credit cards and bank cards are accepted.
Chapel and Chaplain
- The hospital chapel is open to everyone at all times.
- It is located on the main floor - from the lobby, walk past the main elevators and turn right. Follow the sign to the chapel on your left.
- A chaplain is available and on-call 24 hours a day.
- Ask for assistance from hospital staff, or dial 320.231.4211 or the hospital operator at extension 0.
Your questions, comments, and opinions are valuable to us. Please talk to your nurse or call the administrative secretary at 320.231.4228.
When instructions are received from your physician, we begin planning for your return home.
Our discharge planning department, together with your nurse and dietitian, will work with you and your family to recommend services and treatments that fit your personal situation and make your transition from the hospital setting as easy as possible.
- Patients and families are sometimes faced with difficult decisions concerning the ethics of medical treatment rendered in a specific situation
- Recognizing that values differ and conflicts may arise, the Rice Hospital Ethics Committee is available for consultation.
- Rice Hospital believes ethical principles and values are to be integrated throughout our hospital campus, including programs for patient care and business practices. >>for more information
For questions about your bill, or for information about financial assistance, call 320.231.4371, 320.231.4288, or 1.866.601.0527.
Get more info about your hospital bill
Food & Nutrition Services
The hospital cafeteria is located on the lower level of the hospital and serves both employees and visitors.
The food service area is open daily from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm and again from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Breakfast is served from 6:30 am to 8:45 am
- Lunch is served from 10:45 am to 1:00 pm
- Dinner is served from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
In addition to standard food service options, there are vending machines located on all levels of the hospital
Room Service Menus are available in patient rooms.
Hospital volunteers manage the gift shop and keep it stocked with cards, flowers, candy and reasonably priced gift selections.
- It is open Monday-Thursday from 9:00am to 4:3 pm, Friday from 10:00am to 2:00pm.
- Profits from the gift shop are used to fund hospital programs and services.
- The gift shop is located on the main level of the hospital >>more about gift shop
Please contact your nurse. He or she will be able to provide you with a variety of aids that will make your stay more comfortable.
Health Insurance Counseling Program
- The Health Insurance Counseling Program (HICP) is a free and confidential resource to assist you in answering your insurance and healthcare billing questions, whether or not you receive care at Rice Hospital
- Volunteers are available Tuesday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am and Thursdays from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm.
- Their office is located on the main floor of the hospital.
- Call 320.231.4069 or >>more about HICP
Hospice is available to individuals and their families who face terminal illness.
For additional information call 320.231.4450 >>more about hospice
Latex Safe Hospital
In the interest of the health of our patients and staff, Rice has a latex-safe policy. Because of this, latex balloons are not permitted in the hospital. Mylar balloons are an acceptable substitute. Please notify the staff if you have any allergies, particularly to latex products.
Lost and Found
If you have lost something at Rice please contact the housekeeping department at 320.231.4209.
Notary services are available through the business office at 320.231.4287.
Visitor/patient parking is available immediately in front of the hospital and directly to the south of the hospital, across Trott Ave.
>>Patient & Visitor Parking Map
>>Dental Clinic Parking Map
>>Cancer Center Parking Map
Patient Grievance Procedure
Patients who feel their rights have been violated or that the quality of patient care has been unacceptable have a mechanism to state their grievance. The exact procedure is addressed in the pamphlet entitled "Patient Bill of Rights" which is available in the patient hospital brochure and can be requested from the administrative secretary by calling 320.231.4228.
Rice has sleep rooms available for families of our patients onsite in the hospital. The rate for these rooms is $30 per night. For more information on our sleep rooms, contact the communications center at 320.235.4543.
Rice Hospital is committed to providing a smoke-free environment on all of it's campuses --both inside and outside our facilities. This smoke-free indoor and outdoor policy was created in order to ensure a safe and healthy environment of our patients, visitors, employees, volunteers and medical staff.
Support Groups and Health-related Events
Rice sponsors, hosts, and/or provides information about many support groups and educational events in our community.
>>Events and Classes
There are phones throughout the hospital for inhouse use. Dial the room number or four digit office extension you require. For local calls dial "9" and then the number. For long distance calls in your room, you will need to use your credit card. For your additional convenience, there are pay phones located near the main lobby area. If you should need assistance, dial "o" and as for help from the switchboard operator.
Every room has a television that has all of the standard networks, a closed circuit channel for education shows and humours vintage movies.
- The Rice Hospital Auxiliary sponsors an extensive volunteer program to assist visitors, family members, and patients during the day.
- Volunteers help in admissions, gift shop, hemodialysis, hospice, information desk, surgical lounge, and Willmar Regional Cancer Center.
- If you would like to become a volunteer, please contact our Volunteer Services Director at 320.231.4201.
- There are several waiting areas on each floor of the hospital.
- All waiting areas are available to visitors, family members and patients.
- We hope you find them comfortable and accommodating.