Willmar Diabetes Center
The WDC was founded on the belief that quality, comprehensive diabetes care requires informed patients working with knowledgeable, concerned health professionals in a planned system of care. The Center helps people diagnosed with Diabetes live full and meaningful lives by offering programs for people of all ages and in all stages of their diagnosis.
On your first visit with us you will meet with a clinical nurse specialist and a dietician. We'll discuss your current lifestyle, and an assessment will be made to determine what the next steps will be for you in your personal diabetes management and education plan. If you are not doing any home blood glucose monitoring, we will help you get started.
- Type 2 Diabetes BASICS - Led by a nurse/dietitian team, this program is for adults who are not taking insulin but are in need of initial diabetes education.
- Insulin BASICS - This program is designed for adults who are either newly diagnosed and starting insulin or an adult who has had diabetes for a number of years and now needs insulin.
- Kids & Teens - WDC offers comprehensive diabetes care and education for children and teenagers of all ages.
- Gestational Diabetes - Gestational diabetes is high blood glucose (sugar) during the second half of pregnancy. This program offers care and education that will enable both a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
These programs are offered year-round and are designed to meet you where you are - the beginning! Family members and significant others are encouraged to attend.
We offer basic and in-depth education programs on diabetes self-management, insulin management, and heart health so that you can take control of your health.
- Individual Consultations - We offer individual consultations with clinical nurse specialists, nurse educators, and/or dietitians that include a complete
assessment of your diabetes control, self-management skills and current management plan.
- Insulin Starts/Adjustments - We will teach you how to make appropriate changes in your insulin regimen based on your food plan, physical activity, and blood glucose levels.
- Heart Health - People with diabetes often have hypertension an high blood cholesterol levels, putting them at risk for heart disease. In this program you'll learn about food choices, lifestyle and medication and other preventive care to keep your heart healthy. Heart Health is designed for people who have a basic understanding of diabetes management and carbohydrate counting.
- Insulin Pumps and Sensors - Our certified pump trainers teach how to use the pump and/or the 24 hour glucose sensor. Our registered dietitians provide carbohydrate counting and nutrition education. The expertise of our professionals is coupled with ongoing support to create successful insulin
pump or sensor therapy.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Following a complete nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian, an individualized meal plan is created. This meal plan is tailored to each person's lifestyle, medical needs, food
preferences and activity level.