Rice Memorial Hospital and Kandiyohi County Public Health have put together a three-class series that provides you with important information about pregnancy, delivery, newborns, breastfeeding, and more.
These small group classes will give you the opportunity to ask questions and tour the Women and Children’s Unit at Rice Memorial Hospital. All classes will be held at Rice.
2018 Class Sessions:
Classes are held every other month on Tuesdays. It is recommended that you register after the fifth month of your pregnancy, but before the ninth month. Registration will become available approximately 6 weeks prior to the first class of each three-class series.
- September 11, 18, 25
- November 6, 13, 20
Registration will open mid to late September for the November classes.REGISTER NOW!Download Brochure
Cost for Pregnancy to Parenting Series
- $50 for the complete Pregnancy to Parenting Series, which includes three classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and Breastfeeding booklet.
- $25 for the Express Series, which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one class.
How to Register
- Register online using a major credit or debit card. (Note, online registration is NOT available for insurance billing.)
- Register by mail using a check or money order.
Mail registration form and payment to:
Rice Education – Pregnancy to Parenting
Rice Memorial Hospital
301 Becker Avenue SW
Willmar, MN 56201
Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6:00pm – 8:15pm in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. To view a current class schedule, please download the brochure (pdf).
Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center. You can park at the hospital, or in the parking lot at Lakeland Health Center / Family Practice Medical Center.
Class #1 – All About Newborns
- Newborn appearance and health concerns from a local physician
- Car seat safety
- Educational opportunities for you and your newborn
- Relaxation breathing.
Class #2 – Breastfeeding
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- How to breastfeed
- Breastfeeding after you return to work
- Common concerns
Class #3 – Preparing for Delivery
- When to go to the hospital
- Medication used during labor
- Relaxation and breathing
- Tour the Suite Beginnings birthing suites at Rice Memorial Hospital
When should I register?
A good time to register is after the fifth month, but before the ninth month of your pregnancy.
Is the Childbirth Education Series only for moms-to-be who are enrolled in a public health program?
No, you do not have to be participating in a current public health program. Kandiyohi County Public Health encourages all moms-to-be and their partners / labor support to learn about having a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and baby.
If one of the dates in my series doesn’t work for me, can I take that class during the next series?
Yes, Please let Rice Education know your plans, by calling 320.231.8920.
It’s my second baby, do you have a refresher course?
See next question
Do you have a less expensive option?
- There is an Express Series option for $25 which includes either the Gift of Motherhood booklet or the Breastfeeding booklet, and one face-to-face class.
- The complete “Pregnancy to Parenting” series, which includes an online eLearning program, three face-to-face classes, Gift of Motherhood booklet, and Breastfeeding booklet, is $50.
Where do the face-to-face classes take place?
Classes are held every other month on Tuesdays, during the series month. They take place in Lakeland Auditorium at Rice Memorial Hospital. Lakeland Auditorium is on the lower level, through the tunnel to Lakeland Health Center.
Is this class only for moms-to-be who are seeing doctors from Willmar, or who have already chosen Rice Memorial Hospital for the birth of their baby?
We are proud of the beautiful environment and great care provided at Rice and hope you consider having your baby here, however, all moms-to-be in our region are welcome to register for this series.