Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE)
Rice Memorial Hospital is a member of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) program. Our nurses are trained to provide assistance to victims of rape and sexual assault through our Emergency Department 24 hours a day. We meet with victims and their families to help cope with the trauma and to complete the forensic exam.
Choosing to be seen by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner is for your health and safety. You have the right to decline any part of the exam at any time. The exam will include:
- Collecting and saving evidence if you choose to report your sexual assault to law enforcement.
- Evaluating your risk for pregnancy.
- Evaluating your risk for a sexually transmitted infection or disease.
- Evaluating and documenting any injuries.
- Providing you with resources to help during your recovery.